Thursday, January 11, 2007

StubHub Acquired By eBay, Ticket Prices To Only Get Higher

StubHub Logo

StubHub, a ticket resale facilitator where ticket holders can post their tickets to sporting events, concerts, and the like and resell them (even at a huge markup) for a fee, has been acquired by eBay to the tune of $310 million. If you're not down with the eBay power conglomerate, try RazorGator. Another monster, but not eBay. Better yet, try craigslist and buy your hard-to-get tickets from the individual without paying a commission.

I'd venture to say that with eBay taking StubHub, traffic will only grow, increasing the market. eBay also likes to jack up commissions and fees, so expect ticket prices to climb. I bet those Justin Timberlake tickets just shot up to 400 bucks, kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to know...My only foray into ticket reselling was for O's box seats for the Tigers game last season that was rained out and rescheduled to a Sept. Thursday afternoon. While the tickets had originally been given to me, via Craigslist I actually sold them to someone who works with movie director Kevin Smith, which I thought was cool.