Saturday, October 07, 2006

What A Sale! And Jay, I'm Not Feelin' "What You Got". Cop That Damien Rice Instead.

Wow, the Dave Matthews Band is doing fans some favors with a "Blowout Sale" and everything for a flat $20. T-shirts for $20? Sign me up, greedy ones! After $35 for membership in your fan club, $20 for a t-shirt don't seem bad! I don't remember the last time I spent $20 on jeans, nevertheless a t-shirt. I'd rather get my Hatebreed t-shirt for $12.

Heard the new Jigga-man? Jay-Z is back with a new single from the November release "Kingdom Come". This "Show Me What You Got" business is whack. Whatever he's got must have left. We all knew The Black Album wasn't going to be a real retirement, but I'm wishing it was. Hov's apology ("What you want me to do? I'm sorry. I'm back.") on this track is not accepted. Saying "I'm the Michael Jordan of recordin'" is making the most obvious fake retirement reference possible. Wreckx-N-Effect can't be OK with Jay-Z biting their song. And Lafayette Afro Rock Band wants to get paid for that horn sample. Though the Flavor Flav sample makes me want to break out the old, real hip-hop. The classic Public Enemy album It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back, track 9 ("Show Em What You Got") is the source of that one.

If you're less hip-hop and more Irish folk, check out the new Damien Rice track, "9 Crimes". It's over at Stereogum. The post is kind of funny. Grey's Anatomy humor. I like it. But I like the song, too.

No comments: